(FAQs): How do I use my Personal Care Account (PCA) for dental care?

Questions to the Director,

This is a series of common issues that have been brought to my attention by our members when they contact me for help.


I visited my dentist for a regular cleaning. The office staff said my dental claims was denied. I thought that APWU Health Plan Consumer Driven Option members could use my PCA dollars for dental care.


If you wish to be reimbursed from your PCA for Extra PCA expenses, such as dental and vision services, you need to complete a 2018 09 Health Claim Transmittal form. With your submission please enclose a medical or dental claim form. These documents should be mailed to the address on the back of your card. Your doctor, dentist, or other medical provider can assist you in completing the forms.

Denials can happen for a number of reasons. You could have exhausted your PCA dollars and have no funds available. Another common reason for a claim being denied is that the claim is mailed to the wrong address. Claims and the supporting documents should be mailed to the address on the back of your card, United Health Care, P.O. Box 740800, Atlanta, GA, 30374. Please be advised that there is a company called United Health Care Dental and if claims are mailed to them and not United Health Care Medical they will be denied. These are in two separate locations and treated as separate entities by their owners. Some dental offices get this confused regularly.

If you have a dental insurance plan like Voluntary Benefits Dental Plan and you wish to use your PCA to pay for the dental plan copays and coinsurance there are three ways to request a reimbursement for co-insurance and co-pay costs:

If you need assistance registering for the United Health Care website or logging into Health4Me, please contact technical support at 1-866-633-2446.

These are the current forms used for the APWU United Health Care Reimbursement process. These forms may change. You can always check the status of a claim or request copies of the claim forms by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-718-1299.